How to Process Report of Marriage in Malaysia (For Filipinos)

Overseas Filipinos need to process a Report of Marriage (ROM) in Malaysia thru the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur to certify the union, both in the country and in the homeland. Recognizing a Filipino marriage in Malaysia is essential to ensuring that your (civil) status is documented and updated, as well as to avail of your rights as a married citizen.

You might think that this process can be complicated because you’re based abroad, right? However, that’s not the case because the Philippine Embassy can assist you with this process in a few simple steps, which we’ll discuss in this guide. We’ll also share some helpful information, answer some FAQs, and give you some tips to ensure that you can prepare well for this process. Keep reading until the end to learn more.

Guide to Filing a Report of Marriage in Malaysia

How to Process Report of Marriage in Malaysia

Marriage is an important event in any person’s life. Whether you are in the Philippines or based overseas, like in Malaysia, you should know the process of solemnizing your marriage, and one way to do this if you’re in Malaysia is by filing a report of marriage (ROM) at the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur.

Why File a Report of Marriage (ROM)?

Aside from legally documenting the marriage rites, a report of marriage (which also serves as a marriage certificate overseas) is an important document for Filipinos to avail of certain benefits in Malaysia and back home. These include:

  • Social Security Benefits: Being married allows you to receive spousal benefits even if you did not work during the time that you were married.
  • Financial Flexibility: One of the biggest issues that people face when they have just one source of income is managing their household expenses.

When you get married, the amount of money that you have is doubled, which makes it easier to manage your financial situation. You can also take joint loans to lower your monthly expenses.

  • Income Tax Benefit: Officials also make sure that low- and middle-income families are not subjected to high taxes. Thus, you get tax benefits when you get married.
  • Financial Security: In cases where married individuals are both earning money, they don’t have to worry (as much) about money matters. You can always rely on the inflow of cash in the household because even if you transition between jobs, the other one will still be earning for the household.
  • Savings: If you would compare the savings of a married couple and a bachelor, you would realize that the former is able to save more than the latter. Even if you are a single-earner in the household, you can still take advantage of the tax benefits that are available to help you save.
  • Filing Taxes: Being married provides couples with numerous tax advantages. One of these is the ability to jointly file their taxes. If both of you are earning, then filing tax separately would result in you both paying high tax. However, if you file it together, you would end up paying less tax. If you have a one-earner household, it’s wise to jointly pay the taxes.
  • Legal Benefit: Getting married can make it easier for a couple to keep each other informed about emergencies. Also, it can help them make better decisions when it comes to legal issues.
  • Health Insurance Benefits: A married couple can use each other’s health insurance in case of an emergency. For a married couple, this feature is beneficial if one of the members of the couple is not working or doesn’t get health insurance from their employer.

What is a Report of Marriage?

The Embassy of the Philippines will send the authenticated Report of Marriage to the Philippines’ foremost civil registry authority, the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).


To file a report of marriage at the Philippine Embassy, you will need to prepare the following documents:

  • Four (4) original copies of the marriage report. You may download the form here.
  • Four (4) copies of the marriage certificate validated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in English and Bahasa Malaysia);
  • Four (4) copies of the Filipino’s passport;
  • Four (4) photocopies of the spouse’s identity card (I.C.) or passport (for non-Filipino citizens);
  • Four (4) recent colored pictures of both contracting parties (size 1.77 x 1.37);
  • Four (4) copies of the Declaration of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage (LCCM)


The transaction fee for filing a report of marriage (ROM) at the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia is RM 96.25 (Php 1197 or USD 23).

Procedure (How to)

  1. To get started on filing a Report of Marriage at the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, you will need to book an online appointment first. This is in line with the Malaysian government’s directives in curbing the spread of COVID-19-local transmissions in the country.
  2. Go to
  3. Under the consular services section, select ‘Civil Registry’, then choose the most convenient date and time for you, then hit Continue.
  4. Fill out the Appointment Form. This will require you to provide your personal information, such as name, birth date, email, cellphone number, and complete address.
  5. Review the details before hitting ‘Continue’.
  6. An appointment letter will pop up, which you can take a screenshot of or take a photo of. A system-generated notification will also be sent to your email address. Make sure that you are using the email address that you provided when you signed up. You can also check your SPAM folder.
  7. Go to the Philippine Embassy on your appointed date and time.
  8. Make sure to bring all the documentary requirements for filing an ROM.
  9. Proceed to the officer-in-charge for the civil registry transactions and submit all the requirements.
  10. Pay the fees for the transaction and claim the receipt. Make sure to pay the exact amount in cash as the embassy does not accept cards or other forms of payment.
  11. You will be given further instructions on when and how you can check the status of your report of marriage. Usually, the report of marriage is issued between two to three months.

Video: How To Fill Out Report of Marriage Form

In this video, the featured vlogger walks us through how to fill out a report of marriage form for overseas Filipinos (OF). This is important because there might be some sections in the form that you’re not completely familiar with, and it’d be a good idea to know what these sections mean and the information you need to provide on them. Other than that, filing a report of marriage shouldn’t be a complicated process, especially with the help of this guide.

Frequently Asked Questions

Aside from the process of filing an ROM, here are other things that you should know about the process:

How can I have a record of marriage that happened abroad be made available in the database of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)?

The Report of Marriage (ROM) should be filed in the Foreign Service Post (Embassy or Consulate) of the country where it happened.

What is a notarized Affidavit of Two Disinterested Persons which is one of the requirements for the registration of the Report of Birth/Marriage?

This document is an affidavit that attests to the truthfulness and details of the marriage that took place abroad.

What is a dispatch number, reference number and transmittal date that PSA is requiring when requesting a record?

This is the essential information that can be used to track the details of your report on the Foreign Service Civil Registry.

Where can I file for a petition (RA 9048 or RA 10172) to correct a clerical error in the PSA-issued Report of Marriage?

The petition should be filed with the appropriate Foreign Service Posts. If the petitioner is outside the Philippines, the petition should be filed in the nearest local civil registry office. This will be treated as a migrant petition.


A report of marriage (ROM) is an important document that every Filipino person living abroad must file. This will assist them in certifying the legality of their marriage and eligibility in availing of other vital transactions with the Philippine Embassy as a married individual, such as obtaining a Philippine passport and so on.

Furthermore, a report of marriage entitles a Filipino citizen to avail of the facilities and services provided by the Philippine Foreign Post in their nation to married nationals, as well as enjoy the rights of Filipino citizens in Malaysia and back home.

Hopefully, with the assistance of this guide, you will be able to file a report of marriage swiftly and easily. In this manner, you may fully enjoy the benefits that this law provides to all Filipino residents, regardless of where you are in the world.

Upon reaching this point of this guide, will you file a report of marriage anytime soon? If so, what do you think are the challenges and things that you need to settle first in order to file this report? Let us know what you think by leaving a comment in the section below. Also, don’t forget to share this guide with other Filipinos – friends or family – whom you think will benefit from the information presented in this post.

READ NEXT: Services Offered by Malaysia Philippine Embassy and Overseas Labor Office

Contact Information


Address: No. 1 Jalan Changkat Kia Peng 50450 Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA

Tel. Nos. (+603) 2148 4233; 2148 4233; 2148 4654; 2148 4682; 2148 9989; 2148 6528; 2148 6538.

Fax No.(+603) 2148-3576

Duty Officer: (+6017) 347-5487 (+6017) 347-5487



Google Map Location

Leave a Comment