If you are an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) based in Malaysia, you may now easily renew your OWWA membership to continue enjoying the agency’s perks and services. Remember that the OWWA membership is only good for two (2) years, and this is an opportunity you should not pass up. Why? We’ll tell you (or remind you) what you can obtain from the OWWA as a qualified OFW member.
You may believe that renewing your membership would be a challenging task, especially because you will be doing so from another country. However, this is far from what you may expect when you begin this easy process. Continue reading if you want to discover more. We’ll offer you an introduction of the OWWA, what you can anticipate as a member, the renewal procedure, some relevant tips, and FAQs regarding the programme, so make sure to read all the way to the end.
- Guide to OWWA Membership Renewal in Malaysia
- What is OWWA Membership?
- POLO-Kuala Lumpur Reminders
- Video: Kuala Lumpur OWWA Membership Application
- Watch: Pinoy Shares Experience in Renewing OWWA Membership after Getting OEC Appointment in Malaysia
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- Contact Information
- Google Map Location
Guide to OWWA Membership Renewal in Malaysia
If you’ve come across this article but are not currently an OWWA member, don’t leave just yet because you’ll also learn how to apply for membership, as the application and renewal process is practically the same.
What is OWWA Membership?
Membership in the OWWA is a welfare program for overseas Filipino workers. It educates them about their rights and obligations when working in another country. That being said, it is critical for every OFW to understand what it means to be an OWWA member, as this will affect their career and general well-being as overseas workers.
Membership in the OWWA is available in two forms. The first is through the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), which is required of OFWs before they go to their host nations.
The second method is to apply for membership through OWWA’s On-Site Membership Program, which allows overseas Filipinos to apply for membership by filling out an application form and providing the required documentation.
So, who is eligible to apply for or renew their OWWA membership? Let’s have a look at some examples:
- Must be actively and legally working in another country. This implies that you must always have your legal paperwork with you, no matter where you are on the globe.
- Is a permanent resident with full-time, permanent employment yet continues to hold Filipino citizenship
Given the qualifying criteria outlined above, the following individuals are NOT eligible to apply for or renew membership with OWWA:
- Due for cancellation
- Due for termination
- No work, no pay
OFWs in Malaysia who are renewing or registering for OWWA membership for the first time must present the following documents:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet. Download a copy of the form here.
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, cancelled
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment
- Photocopy of Valid Visa and Work Permit
Note: Upon receiving your OEC, you may apply for or renew your OWWA membership.
Applying or renewing OWWA membership requires a fee of USD 25.00 (around RM 100 or PHP 1,032)
Before you can get started with your membership application or renewal, you need to know whether the OWWA branch (at the Philippine foreign post [POLO] in your area) or in this case, Kuala Lumpur, has an online appointment system for OWWA services.
Another way OFWs can apply for or renew their membership is through the PCG Consular Outreach activities. Just keep posted on the PCG-Malaysia’s social media pages for the latest announcements.
How to Book an Appointment Online:
Step 1: Go to the website of the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur.
Step 2: Click the link that says “Click here to set an appointment” under the “OFW Section” on the left-hand side of the page.
Step 3: If you’re a first-time user, you will have to register by clicking the sign-up button. Next, you need to go to your email account and confirm your registration.
Step 4: Once you’ve registered log in to your account, input your most recent OEC number. You may then set an appointment if no schedule comes up under your account.
Step 5: If a record is identified, update the details of the contract, the beneficiaries, and the personal data of the record holder.
Step 6: For an online assessment, click Acquire OEC or Exemption. Enter the date of your travel and the date of your return to the same company and job site.
Step 7: Upon returning to the same employer, the system will show a notification stating that you are not required to obtain an OEC.
Step 8: Otherwise, you’ll be redirected to the Appointment Page, choose your preferred POEA office and set up a time for the OEC payment to be processed.
Step 9: After you confirm your appointment, print the confirmation and bring it to the office.
How to Renew OWWA Membership in Malaysia
On the date of your OEC appointment or when the walk-in process is already accepted at the OWWA office, follow these steps to renew your OWWA membership at the POLO office:
Step 1: Present your appointment for entry (as applicable).
Step 2: Present your documents to the OWWA counter.
Step 3: Pay the OWWA fee.
Step 4: Claim the receipt. Your OWWA membership status will be active for the next two years. Remember to renew your status on or before the same date two years after.
POLO-Kuala Lumpur Reminders
Aside from completing all the steps and requirements set by OWWA, here are some reminders provided by POLO-Malaysia regarding your OWWA membership application or renewal:
- Make sure that all your requirements are complete before submitting your application. If you have not submitted all of these, then your application will not be processed.
- Make sure that your documents are clear and not blurred before sending them to POLO Kuala Lumpur.
- OFW should also receive a confirmation from POLO Malaysia regarding their application.
- After paying the OWWA’s membership fee, you should send the scanned receipt to confirm your membership.
- You can also connect with POLO Kuala Lumpur through their Facebook page and website for more details.
Video: Kuala Lumpur OWWA Membership Application
In this video, representatives of the OWWA and other government agencies discuss the importance of having life and health insurance policies for OFWs through the OWWA membership program.
In this video, an OFW from Malaysia talks about how he renewed his OWWA membership after making an appointment for his OEC. This was done before the pandemic started.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How to book an appointment with OWWA in Malaysia?
Currently, there is no need to contact POLO Malaysia to book an appointment for OWWA membership. However, OFWs are not allowed to visit the office of POLO-Malaysia since the OWWA membership application is not yet processed on-site.
- How do I renew my OWWA membership in Malaysia?
The process for applying for OWWA membership in Malaysia is simple. After submitting the required documents, the membership fee is paid at the POLO. Then just wait for the official receipt of your payment, and once that’s settled, your membership should be renewed right away.
- Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can renew your membership online or through the OWWA mobile app. Just enter your email address and your preferred payment method.
- How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership needs to be renewed every two years. The renewal date falls on the date of your application.
- Why is my OWWA membership inactive?
- If your OWWA membership has been dormant for more than two years, it will become inactive. It might also be deleted if your work visa has expired. To keep his or her OWWA membership, an applicant must not change jobs within two years of the date of application.
- Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Many OFWs who registered at the POEA before getting jobs in other countries are required to sign up for OWWA membership to proceed.
- Are all OFW member of OWWA? No, not all OFWs are members of OWWA.
The OWWA has set various requirements for its members. Those who cannot meet these requirements, such as undocumented workers, will not be allowed to become members.
- Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
Active and registered OWWA members have access to the organization’s many perks. Inactive members may also participate in the organization’s programs and services; however, their participation is limited according to their membership status.
- What are the OWWA benefits for active members?
As OWWA-members, OFWs can gain access to a range of member benefits, which include the following:
- OWWA financial assistance: The OWWA loan is a type of loan that provides financial help to overseas workers for various purposes, such as vacation or emergency expenses.
- OWWA social benefits: These benefits are provided to OFWs who are disabled and dismemberment benefits are also provided to them.
- Seminar and training for OFWs: The OWWA also helps enrich the knowledge and skills of OFWs all over the world thru skills training and seminars/webinars. Some of these include the country-specific Pre-Departure Education Program (PDOS), comprehensive Pre-Departure Education Program (CPDEP) and seafarer’s Upgrading Program (SUP).
- OWWA benefits for beneficiaries: Aside from OWWA benefits, there are also various scholarship programs that are available to OFW dependents.
- Welfare assistance program: OWWA’s welfare assistance services include on-site support, in-country assistance, and psycho-social counseling.
- Repatriation Assistance Program: The OWWA’s Repatriation Assistance Program provides financial assistance to overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who are returning to the Philippines in times of distress. This benefit can include shelter, transportation, and social counseling.
- OWWA Rebate Program: OFWs can get a rebate for making OWWA contributions. The amount they can get depends on how many contributions they made. To claim, they can visit the OWWA rebate website.
- OWWA benefits for ex-OFWs: Aside from the welfare of their fellow workers abroad, there are also various OWWA benefits available for retired overseas Filipino workers. These include:
- OWWA Reintegration Program: The Reintegration Program is for overseas workers who have already left their contracts and would like to start a new life in the Philippines. It provides them with the opportunity to start a new venture.
- Balik-Pinas! Balik-Hanapbuhay! Program: The OWWA’s livelihood program supports overseas Filipino workers to start their own businesses. This assistance can be used for various purposes, such as training, equipment, and education.
The OWWA membership is an important step for OFWs to take to guarantee that they have access to the numerous programs and services that are available to them. For a little charge, you may make use of all the services and advantages provided by the Philippine government to abroad Filipinos, no matter where you are in the world. It goes without saying that this is a must-have for any Filipinos living abroad. Not only will this provide you peace of mind, but your membership will also assist your family and dependents back home. Just make sure you keep an active membership status and renew on time to fully enjoy all the program’s perks.
Filipinos in Malaysia who want to join OWWA can do so through their local office or through the organization’s mobile app. If you are an OFW in Malaysia, be sure you join the OWWA. This will enable you to make use of all the perks offered to registered members, such as those discussed in this article.
OWWA Kuala Lumpur
Address: 1, Jalan Changkat Kia Peng, Kuala Lumpur, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Telephone Number/s: OWWA: +(603) 9202 3756, +(6017) 347 5487 (for non-office hours,
weekends and holidays)
Email: email@example.com (OWWA), firstname.lastname@example.org (POLO)
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinMalaysia
Google Map Location